Thursday, July 24, 2008

this is why I need a book club

I just got finished reading this book and need someone to discuss it with. Have any of you read it? What did you think?
*Okay so I just wanted to add a few more thoughts on this book seeing as how I seem to be discouraging people from reading it. Besides renewing my anxiety of post apocalyptic behaviors & some images I wish I could get out of my head, this was a well written, captivating story. After the first few pages I got mad because of the above & threw it down then I had to pick it back up and finish it. I was nervous, and scared through most of it but parts of it bring relief & joy and I was also moved to tears more than once. It makes me feel sorry for this Mr. McCarthy, the way he's written how the world could be, makes me think he doesn't have a lot of faith in the human race. That he must see 98.5% of us as being easily swayed or bullied or one disaster away from becoming savages. I realize too that he does see some small portion of the population as being good or "carrying the fire" I just think it's sad because I'd like to believe that if anything were to happen that more of us would stand up and band together for the good of all. Thank heaven I belong to a church that shows that this "fire" is carried by a lot more than this author knows. And in the end I'm glad I read it, it's made me realize I have more faith in the people around me and that in turn lessens my anxiety.

12 comments:

Steph Wynder said...

Oh my Gosh. I read it and it depressed me and filled me with anxiety. I read it in one night because I was going to maybe use it as my choice for my book club, which I have already spoken for you and said you will be a part of when you come back, anyway, it kept me entertained, but made me so anxious as a parent. Holy crap what would you have done, I would of been scared sh*&^%$# if I was the Dad of that son. Didn't you just want them to stay in the food/bomb shelter that they found forever and just eat canned peaches and stay warm forever and away from the ever so scary cannibal men. I guess I won't give too much away if someone is reading this and still wants to read the book but call and we can discuss.

Jana said...

STEPHANIE WYNDER DID NOT WRITE THAT LAST COMMENT. Jana did, I am at my mom's and I guess Steph was signed in, but it was your other favorite sister in law Jana that wrote it. We will talk about it.

JaNae said...

jan, that is so funny, I seriously was thinking wow Steph wants me to be in her book club? what? ha ha ha I'm laughing dang hard
But now *serious voice* that BOOK! I have huge anxiety about things like this and I sort of knew what the book was about but I didn't know about some things and I don't want to give it away also but holy cow. yes we need to discuss.
bytheway they are making this book into a movie and it is coming out in November- I don't think I have the nerve to watch it

Steph Wynder said...

This is really Steph, by the way. I haven't read this book but from the comments you and Jan have made I don't think I want to read it. And, if I had a book club, JaNae, I would definitely want you to be in it. Unfortunately, my book club would only be a three-month book club - the summer is the only time I have time to read books.

courtney said...

i'm with steph. from the sound of things, it doesn't sound like my kind of book. i can't even watch "finding nemo" anymore - he looks too much like sam to me. (chubby cheeks, ruddy complexion, etc.) i know - i have issues.

Holland said...

So, this book gives me the creeps and I haven't even heard anything about it but your guy's comments. Um no post about Will leaving the show. I am more upset about that than kerington, I mean Comfort rocked the house. he, he
bye. bye.

Jenalee said...

Hello,

I'm sure we haven't met, and I am not sure whos blogs I have hopped through to get to you. I normally do not comment on stranger's blogs, but I can't help myself.

This book haunts me as a mother. It was like taking a field trip into your worst nightmare. I have no idea why I didn't put it down, but I read the entire thing.

After reading it, I thought about it for weeks if not months afterward. It was chilling.

Besides that, he is an incredible author and is a fabulous writer. I can't imagine a mind that could think that kind of thing up. I had the need to discuss it with everyone afterward, but couldn't find anyone willing to read it! So thanks for letting me vent about it, and sorry for hijacking your blog. :)

JaNae said...

sorry guys for making you not want to read it I have added a little something to the post and I don't know if it will change your mind on reading it.
& jenalee- I always leave comments on random people's blogs so thank you for yours it's very welcome.

Holland said...

Sorry but even your new post about this book gives me no desire to read. Especially after reading that womens comment. no thanks to The Road.

Holland said...

Hey loser, I saw that you got on my blog and you didn't leave a comment. There is no more blog stalking for you, especially when you don't leave a comment. I am watching you and your little dog too! Ha ha.

Holland said...

I am glad I made you feel guilty so you would leave me a comment. Thank you and you are welcome.

Jana said...

No package yet?