Tuesday, August 5, 2008

a book you should buy

I love children's books and especially if they have a great story & great art. This book has both. I'm sure you all know who Frida Kahlo is & this book is a great way to introduce her & her artwork to your children. It also has a great message about overcoming adversity. I picked this up for Lily the other day at Barnes & Noble and she was having none of it so I let her choose one she liked (see below)





she chose this: A book you should NOT buy


the story is horrible! It's about a whiny little girl who wants "pink, pink PINK" cupcakes and gets them, then yells at her mom and dad and doesn't listen and then sneaks more cupcakes. Who writes this stuff? It tried to have a message but it was lost somewhere in all that obnoxious pink. I refuse to read it to lily but if I'm talked into it I change the story as much as I can. I'll never buy another book for my kids without reading it first. Luckily for me Lily now likes "Frida" a lot more than the pink one and her favorite colors are still brown and "purple-y-blue"

6 comments:

Holland said...

J,
you crack me up. Kate wanted that same book a few months ago but whenever she wants anything I just tell her "you can have it for your birthday." It works every time. Just one thing that little girl has one big eyebrow. It is kind of freaking me out.

Holland said...

Also you said she was having none of it but then at the end of your post you said she liked the Frida one better. confused.

Holland said...

one last thing. kate was playing with her leap frog toy that is a girl frog that counts. i think you have the same toy. anywho, for the first time she discovered that the frogs name is lily and she about passed out she was so excited because her cousins name is lily. it was quite funny.

JaNae said...

nic sorry I will have to clarify about lily now liking the frida book better and I will add a link so you can learn more about frida kahlo- by the way she did have a unibrow but it was part of her character and always painted herself with one

JaNae said...

oh and yes lily does have the lily leapfrog doll, I'm glad kate figured it out

Holland said...

k, i was not quite sure if i was seeing things right. so after i had made that comment i had to go check it out again to make sure i wasn't seeing things. thanks for clarifying that up for me. i am a weirdo. i know.