Friday, August 28, 2009

in the garden or not so much

This year I had some extreme plans for my little piece of dirt out behind my home. unfortunately the husband was not as excited as I was about weeding and what not. So it has been going slowly I mean snail pace slow- no slower than that- I mean waiting for christmas morning when you are 7 years old slow. I try to do a little here & a little there but those weeds adore my back yard too much. so I'm shooting for fall, who wants to work in 90 degree weather anyway. So with out my back yard up and running we tend to stay out front where it's taken care of for us (starting at 7 am every monday and tuesday)
The other morning we noticed we had some new visitors to our frontyard oasis. At first there were three but only two remained the next day. We decided that they would be our pets & in being part of this family they had to be named. We decided on Joe & Carolyn. And they stayed for about a week. It was fun to hear Kail wake up, go out side and say "good morning Joe & carolyn" & I got a good giggle out of hearing lily proclaim "oh look carolyn and joe are playing piggyback!" I wasn't ready for that talk so I said "how nice that they play well together" Well then Joe and carolyn got tired of playing piggy back and joe left. Carolyn lingered a few more days then she was gone too. Off to make a new safer, aways from prying eyes, home for her new brood. We hope they are doing well.
(my neighbor Ameilia is relieved they're gone seeing as how she is deathly afraid of the little green monsters and is apparently attacked by them even when trying everything she can to avoid them)


Since I don't have a back yard of my own I've been livng vicariously through other people's in person like my dad's & also through lovely pictures on blogs. Like the ones below.
This is Jim Kumiega's secret garden, he works for Flora Grubb gardens -enough said. The fabulous part? it's all completely planted in containers- WoW! How fun would that be? My neighbors backyard on the other side of me is almost completely concrete except for a sweet little unruly vegetable patch with a tomato plant that has a mind of it's own. I think they should do something like Jims garden.
Or something like this. A little less in the plant deptartment but wonderful all the same. One of these days I'm going to figure out how to make that verticle garden and do a smaller version for my backyard.


Seeing these make me want to go back to school to be a landscape designer or maybe just go work in my own back yard.

*and for those of you who read this blog at regular intervals aren't you happy for this post so that Roots video no longer comes up, I love the song but was so tired of hearing it

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

I am laughing my head off! I am loving that you named your little bug friends after us!!! Or..I guess you might know another Joe and Carolyn...but we like to think its after us!! We love you guys!

juice said...

I know what you mean! We tried to grow a garden on our balcony...TRIED...only the tomatoes grew and then a friendly neighborhood mouse started to eat them...and so we threw them out! Depressed!:(