Tuesday, November 17, 2009

the art of art collecting

There are so many things in my home that need to be done before I can even think about adding any art to my bare bare walls. But I ran across this piece on emily style and absolutely fell in looove. And when that happens I get stuck on what other art pieces I want in my home.

I have a special place in my heart for clementines because my Lily has a special place in her heart & stomach for them. (seriously she packs away at least 7 a day when they are in season)
This would look great in my kitchen. Along with the ever so popular 'keep calm and carry on' poster.

Lonely Clementine by PainterNick on Etsy


When I saw the Lonely Clementine it reminded me of the painting of plums below. When I saw this painting hanging in my friend Carol's mom's home I fell in looove with it also. This painting in real life is gorgeous. There's just something about it that makes me feel at home. The artist is Carol's brother-in-law Jeff Merrill. And if I lived in la la land it would be mine. (it's still available)

Plum Basket by Jeff Merrill


but wouldn't you know it, Jeff also has a painting of clementines!
unfortunately it's no longer available.

Sweet Clementines by Jeff Merrill

And this painting of a young Jane Austen (still in contention whether or not it is the author Jane Austen. It's not signed and only has been verified by word of mouth- you can read more about it here)
If I could find a print of this painting it would be the first in my collection. and hung over my bedside table. Isn't it lovely? A cropped portion of this painting is on my personal- you don't touch- copy of Pride and Prejudice.


And there are many other photographs, paintings, prints and art that I want. That's not even counting all the personal family photos I need to frame and hang.
My choices are all so scatter brained. But I think when it comes to the art of art collecting you choose what speaks to you or moves you, not who painted it or what goes with what or how much you paid for it.


I had to add this last one. Isn't that a great photo? the extreme over-sized painting or photo is a must have in every home. I love the horse but maybe I could find a fox. Why a fox? I don't know it just seems cool who doesn't want a fox living at their home?

spotted on the Bedlam of Beefy from Country Living

2 comments:

juice said...

You need to come to SF so we can go to art galleries together!

JaNae said...

yes, PLEASE!