Wednesday, November 11, 2009

knit 1 for our troops

Hey guys- a lot of people are being sent to this post from Kelly's blog. I decided after this post that I would try to get people to help and wrote about that above. if you are in the Utah area I would love to collect all the scarves and hats then send them out all together. If you're interested in sending yours with mine or any questions please email me at:
janaejorgensen@yahoo.com
and we can work out where to pick up or drop off thank you!!
and a BIG thank you to Kelly for writing about this on her blog- my happy little life

I have finally learned how to knit! Thanks to Kelly from my happy little life. She had a knitting 101 class and I loved it. Cupcakes, cute girls and yarn, could you ask for anything else? She is going to be posting about more classes so if you are interested pop on over to her blog.

photo from the purl bee*

but if you are already a knitter or crocheter then I've got a great way for you to help a soldier/soldiers:

Operation Gratitude is a wonderful non-profit organization that sends care packages to our soldiers serving overseas that help them out in so many ways. Right now you can help by using your yarning talents to make hats, scarves, and helmet liners to send to troops serving in Afghanistan. We can all feel how cold it is now I'm sure you can imagine sitting in the mountains of Afghanistan with nothing but a tent to keep you out of the elements. This is such a great way to show these men and women that even though some people seem to be dragging feet on decisions about their mission, we the American people haven't forgotten about them and their huge sacrifice for us and the people of Afghanistan.

(This info found on the blog proud liberal army wife)
There are some rules you need to follow, and these are not suggestions, these are mandatory.
First -
NO acrylic or rayon or other artificial yarns. It must be 100% wool. Acrylic melts when it burns & when it gets wet, it gets cold and nasty. Wool, even when wet, keeps the body warmth in. I'm told that the Cascade 220 superwash is warm, soft and washable. There are other washable wools too.
Second - muted colours. tans, browns, Army green, black, deep maroon if you must, dark blue if you want to send to airforce.


This is short notice but they need to be sent by Dec. 5 to:

Operation Gratitude/California Army National Guard
17330 Victory Boulevard
Van Nuys, California 91406

And including a little note of support with your name and address or email address pinned to it would be super nice. Or anything else they might need.

Here are some links for helmet liners: 1 2
and troop hats or other mens hats

As for the scarf - simple is good, plain and long enough to go around the neck once then get tucked in.

*I love purl soho for yarn & the purl bee for patterns
also for those in the salt lake area Blazing Needles is a gorgeous yarn shop
& for those closer to Provo Heindselman's is always a classic

1 comment:

Julia said...

I couldn't find a link for the crochet pattern. I don't know how to knit, but I'd love to crochet some helmet liners. Can you direct me to it?

Thanks,

Julia
urlgurl77@gmail.com