Monday, May 10, 2010

our august '09

Last August Lily turned 5.  Oh my. 
I am the worst mom because I am scared to throw a friend birthday party so I opt for very last minute family gatherings.  & that's what this was.  Invites were sent out via text a few days in advance.  We had a barbecue at this super cute park in Orem. 


It was hot hot hot!  (Oh, how I long for those days) The cake started to melt & that added to little fingers wanting a preview it ended up more of a disaster cake than the cute confection I had in mind.


We had a pretty good spread.  Kabobs, watermelon, chips & salsa & pasta salad- yummm
My brother Gordon (on the left- still single ladies!)  & the husband was our grill master


Kail & cousin (once or twice removed)  Daisy, see how cute this park is?  all the tables are covered by arbors with wisteria vines growing up them. Kail is half dressed because of the water feature at this park.  The sign says not to play in it because the water isn't treated. Luckily Kail is still with us.


Nic's going to kill me for this photo & I'm going to have to say "deal", I love my sis & she always looks gorgeous.


My brother Chris & daughter Caitlyn- making sure dad looks his best


How cute are these two?  My niece Kate & cousin Devry's mini, Lindsay



all the boys must have called each other beforehand (did you notice the red shirts?).  & my favorite- Izze! (my favorite flavor is pomegranate just in case you felt the need to bring me over a bottle or two) the kids loved having their own with a straw.
ps if you buy bottled drinks you must have straws.


My older sister Nat & her hubby Tim flew all the way out to join us.  Okay it was just a happy coincidence they were in town while in the midst of their move from Germany to Jordan (not the west kind of Jordan the middle east kind), we wish their cute mini's could have come too!


Luckily I had made this bunting banner for Lily's birthday morning at home.  I think it turned out pretty cute.


And my allll time favorite photo.  These two melt my heart!

Lily got a new bike- a beach cruiser. She looks so cute on it.  why no photo?  who knows.
now all we need is a garage to store it in ;)

This last minute party was so much fun!  I'm getting a lot better at throwing these things together, less & less stress each time. I guess practice makes less stress.

do you have any last minute party planning tricks or tips?

4 comments:

courtney said...

no party tips here. our parties are LAME and don't even involve family...unless you count those who are living in the same house as me. :)

LOVE the pictures. the park does look great and i'm glad kail didn't suffer for playing in the water. wishing we had a garage to store our birthday stuff in too!

Holland said...

love this post! so cute and yes i am going to kill you for posting such a ugly shot. that last photo melts my heart too! could they be any cuter? that was a fun party even though i was a sweaty mess and my little guy was still colicky.

Melissa said...

Love it. Home grown birthday parties are the best and this one looks like a big hit. Wish we could have been there for some kabobs!

mckenzie said...

I love all of the little fingerprints in the frosting from sampling children. What a cute party!!!