Saturday, June 5, 2010

what's for dinner (ugh)


I hate making dinner. I never know what to make.  plus the fact that I don't have an open floor plan does not allow me to keep tabs on my kids while I'm in the kitchen which means I clean up the living room then head into the kitchen to start dinner or to start crying about making dinner & when I make it back to the living room  to make sure everything is all right, because everyone is menacingly quiet, the living room is a mess, covered in torn paper, wii controlers, shoes & always a new purple stain on the carpet.
so making dinner has become a nightmare.

And as much as I'd like to order pizza for the 4th time since the husband left, tonight I'm going to try to make some homemade tortillas & homemade guacamole to eventually end up with chicken burritos.  
Wish me luck.

(i stole this photo from Megan's blog I haven't asked her yet if it's okay for me to use on my blog but she did borrow my monitor last night so I think it'll be alright & if not she knows where I live and can come punch me or stare me down in nursery tomorrow ;) )
you can find the recipe for the tortillas here on megan knorpp's super cute blog and you can also find other good looking recipes there that I will be trying out if the tortillas go well for me.
(one day I'll learn how to make black beans that are not out of the can & oh shoot I just remembered I forgot to get brown sugar from the grocery store- boo)

and here is the guacamole recipe I use which I loooove

here are the ingredients minus the cilantro, the husband hates cilantro.  but when he's not around I make sure to add it



kail wanting in on the action


and this is one of my favorite kitchen tools. I stole it from my parents when they bought their new fancy juicer.  I love the color. & it was made in America- so you know it's good to go

I would like to give a shout out to my sis-in-law Jan for introducing me to chicken burritos with black beans- soo good.  & now that i think about it she has been making some pretty awesome delicious food lately.  her salad with the candied walnuts and the pork tacos with that tomatillo sauce -serious tastebud goodness.  I'm going to have to steal her recipes and pass them off as my own ;)

4 comments:

courtney said...

yum! we make our own tortillas (but only because we have to) and they taste super good - - but definitely don't look as pretty as those pictured on your blog!

hope dinner was GRRRRRRRRRREAT!

Janet said...

Holy moly, I am coming to your house for dinner! It looks so yummy! Cereal is about as gourmet as I get right now.

Jana said...

Wow, you have taken my black bean, chicken burritos to a whole new level. And you make me sound like I am some kind of gourmet cook, but those that I cook for most frequently would have to disagree. We missed you yesterday, I have a little something for Niels, and this is my last week before girls camp and then I am HOME FREE!!!!!!! I seriously can't wait. You are awesome to be alone and still make dinner, I think you deserve take out every night!

Melissa said...

I hate making dinner for just us too. For some reason it's not the same. All I can say for you is: Kudos and YUM. Maybe the Jorgensen girls need to start up a recipe blog as well. Or just add to Courtney's:
http://moisterandchewier.blogspot.com

Love you.