Tuesday, March 15, 2011

if ye are prepared ye shall not fear- D&C 38:30



I can't stop watching the footage of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan.
It breaks my heart for them, then it freaks me out.

So I am going to do my best to start getting our food storage &a 72 hr kits together. Of course that whole undertaking alone is freaking me out too.  

But I know that when I am prepared I'll no longer have that fear.  I know it will still be scary if and when the big one hits* but I know that if I have done all I can to prepare for it, I'll be able to handle it better and to help others who might be worse off.

here's my list so far- 
(it's random & non-orderly)
(this is so far without the influence of research)
(can I just tell you, the husband says "my food storage consists of a gun & a ward list -oh Gary)

cash
water /water purification
fuel for stove & heater
generator
solar chargers /batteries
flashlights
plastic & tape for windows
toilet paper
tampons
cleaning supplies
bleach
tooth paste /tooth brushes
wellies
work gloves
shovels
garbage bags
snowshoes
guns /bullets
flour
wheat /wheat grinder
sugar
baking powder /baking soda
vinegar
meal plan
fire extinguishers
seeds- fruit /veggies
gold fish crackers

Oh I just ran across THIS blog found via the blog a room somewhere it's written by a military wife who is living in Japan.  And so I have added some things to my list:
peanut butter
nutella 
candles 
(and maybe even looking into beeswax sheets)
oh and I remembered I want to have laminated copies of all of our important papers- birth cert./ss cards/ insurance info/ etc.

The post I linked to has some great insight into what it's like and what is needed most and other practical things to know after an earthquake.  Plus I learned that Japan has an anti-hoarding law, so the people there can't have food storage- what?? Hopefully after this disaster they will rethink that one.

Now just so you don't think we're completely unprepared we do have a lot of these items just not specifically for our food storage- not that they need to be but, my storage needs to be organized and it would be nice to store these things we have along with everything else.

Oh and I know there's not a lot of food on my food storage list, but that will come later when I get my meals planned and figure out exactly what we need.  One thing that really frustrates me about this is that we eat mainly fresh food, so it's hard for me to imagine eating things from cans. But I'll get over that when I'm starving.

*let's talk about the 'big one' shall we? Okay ever since I can remember people in the UC, and I guess all of northern Utah have been talking and scaring little children about the big earthquake that is going to come.  I clearly remember in my 7th grade science class my teacher scaring the class to death with his wonderful theatrics and stories of the 'big one'  One day he took a yard stick and held it half way on a desk then had a student bend down the half hanging off and keep bending it down until - snap crackle pop! it splintered then broke in two.  the lesson was about the energy being built up at a fault line and how that energy is released.  That was almost 20 years (eeeek, I'm old) ago.  So we're still waiting. And I'm sure there are 7th grade science teachers all over the UC just loving that it hasn't happened yet.

And if I haven't fully scared you yet, I'll leave you with these video's






if you know of any good sites or anything I'm missing on my list let me know!

No comments: