Saturday, July 9, 2011

my kids are triathletes

Triathlons are all the rage these days in the valley.  It used to be running marathons. Then it was road biking.  But now all those soccer moms have gotten bored and sick of being like everyone else with their Ragnar Relay stickers on their minivans, so they've turned to triathlons*. 
Including my younger sister.  But she makes her minivan look good.  So if Nic does it, it must be cool
love you Nic ;) !

But enough about trends in the UC.
*I am not in any way degrading or making fun of those who run in any marathon including the Ragnar Relay.  I only wish I was as hard working & focused as those people are.  You guys rock and I am lazy. 

My kids all competed in the first annual Ivory Ridge Junior Triathlon.  It was so much fun! and there's nothing cuter than seeing your child's eyes get as big as saucers when they have numbers written on them with permanent marker.




 little Yale was too young to compete but he will rock it when he is old enough.




The older kids; Kail, Lily & Kate, competed in all three events. They swam, then biked, then ran. 
The little guys; Sophie and Niels, just biked & ran in the little guy competition.
Since the two were at the same time the husband and Nic went with the older kids and I stuck with the younger ones. It was the cutest thing ever.

Niels kicked butt on his run bike.  He lapped the others a few times. Little Sophie was just happy to be there- in last place :).  But then they had to park the bikes and line up to run.  Poor Niels is not a runner. He lagged behind and kept Sophie company in last place. Seriously so cute.
But all was good in the end because they all received medals.
(not to dampen the fun of this but I really need to have a post on the "everyone is a winner" mentality that has taken over)  









There was some confusion on the different paths the older kids were to take once they started the running portion but it all worked out. And they had so much fun!  Kail wore his t-shirt and medal all day.  And when the kids were in the shower/tub they wanted to make sure their numbers didn't get washed off.  Lily wore her numbers proudly to church the next day too.  Making sure to choose a dress that wouldn't hide them.









Thanks Nic for inviting us! We can't wait for next year.  Hopefully you'll share with us all your newly learned triathlete skills


I had to add this last photo.  Some of the kids were really into it, I mean all decked out and they probably compete all over in junior triathlons.
And this dad is clearly hard core and had the right idea.  I'm purchasing one of these for each of my kids.

5 comments:

JaNae said...

why are all my small photos so fuzzy? that's strange. Well make sure to click on the photo to see it in all of it's glory & clarity

shellie said...

Your kids are so awesome! Kail told me all about it and even showed me his metal.

Nicole said...

HEY!!! I am glad you joined the fun. I wasn't sure how you would feel about it but you obviously loved it. :) I will keep you posted on the next one. Oh and I love all the pictures. So Cute

The Bensons said...

Holy cow... Janae Hansen! I was just scanning through Natalie's blog list and saw your name and thought, "could it be the janae I know?" How have you been! BTW... This is Emily Edens. :)

Kat said...

That's the coolest! I'm so proud of that little man Neils. :) Way to go!